Sunday, August 23, 2026

THE 100th ANNIVERSARY OF THE DEATH OF RUDOLPH VALENTINO

Today, August 23, 2026 is the 100th anniversary of the death of silent film superstar Rudolph Valentino.  I have written many times in this blog about Valentino and my connection to him:

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2013/06/she-was-rudolph-valentino-favorite.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2013/08/rudolph-valentino-faithful-dog-kabar.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2015/05/she-danced-tango-with-rudolph-valentino.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2011/12/a-christmas-tragedy-virginia-richdale.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2020/07/master-of-ceremonies-of-annual-rudolph_28.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-mitchell-choirboys-bob-mitchell.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2025/12/from-evanston-to-hollywood-philo-judson.html

https://undereverytombstone.blogspot.com/2023/04/a-melvin-h-sykes-portrait-speaks-for.html

I made my first trip to the Valentino crypt at the (then) Hollywood Memorial Park Cemetery in 1980:


For many years I attended the Valentino Memorial Service.  The service is held on August 23rd each year and begins at 12:10 PM - the time Valentino died.

Many times I was also a featured speaker at the service:



I am unable to attend the service this year, but my thoughts will be at the Cathedral Mausoleum at the (now called) Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

I will also remember especially the following people:

Ditra Flame', the one and only original Lady in Black:



Estrellita del Regil, the ersatz Lady in Black:




Bud Testa, for years the Master of Ceremonies of the Valentino Memorial Service:



and noted Valentino collectors and historians Michael and Virginia Back:


Virginia is still with us, but Michael has gone on to his reward.



Rudolph Valentino - he was the greatest of them all.  May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment