The 1910 US Census shows the young Harvey family living in Bennington, Illinois. Thirty-two year old Edward, a carpenter for a house builder, twenty-three year old Grace, and the children Gale, Ray, Rachel and Carl. They were renting their home "Lots 1, 2, 3 and 4 north of 14th Street."
That brings us up to the terrible accident that took the life of Edward Harvey. Here is the account from the Lacon Home Journal:
EDWARD HARVEY KILLED
It has been truthfully said that in the mist of life we are in death and the sudden passing of Edward Harvey of this city about four o'clock last Monday afternoon is another evidence of what an uncertain quantity is life.
Mr. Harvey was employed with the line crew of the Public Service Company that was working on the city road west of the bridge. Lines of wire were being changed and two long wires were tied to Edward McMahon's wagon. He started to drag them a short distance, it being the intention to anchor them to an electric light pole so there would be no danger of them getting on the road. The wires were being pulled over the cross arms on several electric light poles and when one of the wires was about to pass over one of these cross arms it flew up and came in contact with a live wire of the high line carrying 4,400 volts of electricity. Mr. McMahon noticed that something was wrong, as his team became almost unmanageable. Almost at the same time Mr. Harvey started to untie the wire from the wagon. No sooner had he touched it than he went down like a man struck with an axe. As usual in such cases he was unable to let loose of the fatal wire and death must have been almost instantaneous. Mr. McMahon was only slightly shocked, due to the fact that he was sitting on a dry blanket and had on shoes with rubber soles. The wire that caused the death of Mr. Harvey came in contact with a pole along side of the road and there were reports like the crack of a pistol while fire flew in every direction. The right hand of the unfortunate man was burned at one place to a crisp and there was also a seared place on his neck where the wire had burned.
Drs. Bradford and Bennington were quickly summoned and the force of the workmen of the Public Service Company worked with the stricken man for almost two hours in an attempt to revive him, but in vain. It is probable that he was dead in a few minutes after being stricken with the fatal current.
Here is Edward's tombstone in the Lacon City Cemetery:
So that's the terrible story of the sudden death of my Aunt Rachel's father, Edward Harvey - struck down in the prime of life leaving a widow and eight(!) children.
Edward Harvey - May he rest in peace.